Skip to content ↓

Our School

Our school was founded in 1580 and has a long tradition of working within the Gravesham community. Our motto ‘All Different, All Equal, All Flourishing’ emphasises our Christian belief that the skills and interests of all students should be developed, recognising and valuing their unique worth and God-given talents.

Our goal is to ensure each student realises their potential and leaves Saint George’s as a responsible, confident and articulate young person, fully prepared for adult life. 

Saint George’s is a school with a Church Foundation. Although it does not mean you have to attend church to come here, this does reflect our school’s history and the involvement of the Church of England in the education of young people in their communities. It does not mean that only those with the Christian faith can attend Saint George’s, but everyone is expected to respect the teachings of the Christian faith and adhere to our mission statement of ‘All Different, All Equal, All Flourishing’. Christian values underpin this statement and place emphasis on service and compassion; thankfulness and hope, and respect for the earth as God’s creation. Above all, we believe in the potential of each student to succeed, recognising that Jesus cared equally for all people, regardless of race, gender or social background.

History of Saint George's CofE All-Through School

In 1580 our School began its life as The Milton and Gravesend Free School. It was a wooden building situated near Gravesend Market in the High Street. Only boys were taught at this time in schools.

In 1835 a new building was built to house the school, and it was called the King Street School situated in the centre of Gravesend. Girls were allowed to attend for the first time.

In 1939 The school was opened at its present site by the Bishop of Rochester. There were 172 pupils. It was intended to call the school The King George Church of England School. At the last minute, a spokesman for Buckingham Palace said the King's name could not be used, so the service papers were altered by hand to Saint George's Church of England School.

In the 1970s the Design Block and the Gymnasium were opened at the time when the school-leaving age was raised to 16. The R, S and V Blocks, the Sports Hall, the Science Block and the former Staff Room, (now the Library) were added later, to accommodate the comprehensive school.

Between 1994 and 1999 the school added two extra forms of entry and grew to just over 1400 pupils.

In 2008 the Education and Skills Act came into effect and raised the education leaving age to eighteen.

In 2011 Saint George's Church of England School became an Academy, and in 2014 the Aletheia Academies Trust was born.

In 2019 the Primary Phase of Saint George's Church of England School opened, and we became an all-through school.